THE ORBIT DOLLY T-BAR HANDLE KIT further adds to the versatility of the Orbit Dolly, while giving you even more control over your next shot. It provides you with remote push and pull control over the motion of the dolly which in many cases can mean a better, more stable shot. When you guide the dolly with your hand on the mounted tripod or camera support you can produce unwanted vibration and shake that can get transferred to your camera. With the T-Bar handle you get smoother movement because your hand shake is dampened by both the rubber handle grip and by the fact that your hand is no longer directly touching the tripod. You also get a better perspective on your shot by backing off from the action and anticipating where your camera will move next.
The 44" T-Bar Handle with extension rod gives you just enough distance from the dolly to confidently guide it while staying out of the way. In tabletop mode, using the base 24" T-Bar handle can keep you from casting a shadow on your subject, while still allowing you to easily guide your camera for that closeup shot. When using telephoto lenses, vibration reduction is especially important and getting one step further away from the camera and tripod using the T-Bar handle can help.
1) T-Bar handle with soft rubber textured grip
2) 20" extension rod
3) clevis attachment assembly (includes metal fork, 2-part easy grip rubber connecting knobs, knurled grip metal bolt and nylon washers which allow for some swivel action)
4) center plate attachment assembly (including required screw knob)
- Reduced Vibration: The main advantage to using the T-Bar handle on your Orbit Dolly is to reduce the vibration and jarring that can translate to the camera (and your shot) when you guide the dolly with your hand on the mounted tripod or camera support. Taking your hands one step further away is especially important when using a telephoto lens.
- Improved Maneuvrability and Control: Adding the T-Bar handle to the Orbit Dolly lets you get out of the way of the action (1). You can more accurately position the dolly and avoid tripping over its legs when you are guiding it from the end of the 44" handle (2). You can also more easily avoid casting your shadow on the subject in dramatic lighting environments.
- Dual Anchor Points: You can choose to attach the T-Bar handle either to the center plate of the Orbit Dolly using the provided mounting hardware (4 & 5) or to the anchor point on one of the 3 legs (3). This is especially useful when the center plate is in use for camera attachment (in tabletop mode for example).
- Modular Construction: You can use the T-Bar at two lengths -- use just the 24" T-Bar handle attached to your dolly when you need to be closer to the action (when using tabletop mode for example) or add the 20" extension rod to stay further away from the dolly and take a backseat view of the action. You also use the same clevis mounting bracket at either anchor point so there is no extra hardware to cart around.
- Easy to Assemble: Attaching the T-Bar handle to the Orbit Dolly is a no-tools-required operation. All of the knobs, bolts and screws provided have been designed oversize with easy grip rubber casing or knurled textured grips to make attachment and detachment quick, fumble-free and easy (6).
- WEIGHT: 4.15 lbs/1.88 kg (full kit)
- ROD DIMENSIONS: 7/8"/22.23mm
- LENGTH: 44"/ 1118 mm (full T-Bar handle with extension and clevis attachment assembly), 24"/610 mm (main T-Bar rod with clevis attachment assembly), 20"/508 mm (T-Bar extension rod)
- T-BAR HANDLE WIDTH: 10"/254 mm
- MATERIALS: 1/2 inch aluminum plate (series 6061) with industrial matte black powder coating for all metal parts; soft touch rubber connecting knobs and nylon washers on clevis attachment assembly; textured rubber grip covers on T-Bar handle
I have been using my Orbit Dolly for awhile now and I don't understand why I need a T-Bar Handle for it. What advantages does it give me?
Any chance you get to reduce vibration, increase flexibility and stay in control of the shot is a good thing. The T-Bar handle for the Orbit Dolly does all of these things, and it does them inexpensively. It can also let you explore new ways to shoot creatively and try some new angles, while still allowing you to get a stable shot.
I don't want to have to fool around with tools and take time I don't have putting together and taking apart my gear. How much trouble is it to assemble the T-Bar Handle on a busy set?
No tools are required to attach the handle to the dolly. We have designed all parts of the Orbit Dolly and its accessories to be extremely user-friendly in a fast-paced studio environment. Grips and knobs are designed oversized and with rubber or textured metal surfaces so that they can easily be grabbed, tightened and released. The larger size of the connecting screw knobs also means better torque for a quicker application of force.