Digital Juice Follow Focus PRO
The Digital Juice Follow Focus PRO is an essential accessory for any professional DSLR camera setup, allowing for quick precision focusing with minimal lens shake. The unit mounts quickly and easily to any industry standard 15mm rails and is compatible with a wide variety of lenses, cameras, and shoulder rigs. The gear-driven follow focus mechanism and the rod-supported baseplate ensure that you get the repeatable, smooth and accurate focus control you need to give your footage the look of a big budget movie production.
The Follow Focus PRO unit's lens gear can be inserted from left or right, allowing the unit to be placed on either side of the camera to accommodate both long and short lenses as well as right-and left-handed operators. The unit ships with one adjustable lens gear belt and has a wet erase type China Wheel so that you can get repeatable, accurate focus pulls. The Follow Focus PRO also features adjustable A-B hard stops to protect your lens from overcranking and to provide quick repeatable racking between two points.
Features- Just the facts
Benefits- What it means to you
- Completely gear driven design
- Slip-free, accurate and repeatable focus movement
- Adjustable A-B hard stops
- Helps protect your lens from overcranking (especially in autofocus lenses with no hard stops) and allows for quick repeatable focus racking between two points
- Gear drive can be inserted on left or right side of unit
- Allows the follow focus unit to be mounted on either side of the camera, accommodating a wider range of lenses, as well as supporting both right-and left-handed operators
- Compatible with industry-standard 15mm rods(60mm center to center difference)
- Industry standard sizing allows you to use just about any available lightweight rail support system
- Adjustable baseplate
- Easy left, right, forward and backward maneuverability to fit a wide range of lens diameters and lengths
- Industry-standard accessory port in focus wheel
- Access to a wide range of whips, speed cranks and other compatible accessories when needed
- Quick release clamp
- Allows you to install and remove the follow focus unit from your rails without sliding it off or disturbing other accessories mounted to your rig
- Compatible with most video-capable DSLR cameras, fixed-lens camcorders & interchangeable cinema lenses
- Support for just about any camera you might need to use including Nikon D90, Canon 550D, 7D, 5D MKII and more
The Digital Juice Follow Focus Pro is designed to give slip-free, accurate and repeatable focus movement on a wide range of cameras. The included adjustable gear ring belt adapts to a variety of lens sizes, is easy to attach and assures the gear drive has a slip-free grip on the focus wheel of your camera lens.
The adjustable A-B hard stops on the follow focus unit help protect your lens from overcranking and allow for quick repeatable focus racking between two points.
To use these hard stops, you would first loosen both blue thumb-screws, then turn the focus wheel until you have reached the limit of your lens' focus ring or the desired stopping point. You would then tighten the thumbscrew that is resting against the focus indicator and turn the focus wheel in the opposite direction to the other desired stopping point and tighten the second thumbscrew.
The gear drive on the DJ Follow Focus Pro can be inserted on the left or right side of the unit, allowing the unit to be mounted on either side of the camera and thus accommodating a wider range of lenses, as well as supporting both right-and left-handed operators. To do this, you can simply pull the lens gear straight out, away from the body of the follow focus and insert it on the opposite side, making sure to match the notch in the lens gear shaft with the slot in the receiver hole.
The quick release clamp on the DJ Follow Focus PRO is compatible with the industry-standard 15mm rods on a variety of lightweight camera rigs. The design of the clamp allows you to mount or remove the follow focus unit from your rig without disturbing any of the other accessories which may be attached to the same rail system. To mount the unit, first loosen the black knob opposite the focus wheel which will loosen the clamps, allowing you to snap the focus assembly onto your camera rig. Once mounted, you can adjust the distance of the focus wheel and drive gear from the lens by loosening the black knob on the bottom of the rail mount, moving the unit into position and then tightening the black knob once more.
The white wet erase type China Wheel surrounding the focus wheel is used to achieve repeatable, accurate focus pulls. Marks are jotted down during rehearsal, so that focus pulls can be repeated according to the marks during the actual shoot.
As part of a professional camera rig, the DJ Follow Focus Pro will give your location shots the polished look of a high-budget production. By allowing you to get smooth focus pulls from a stationary tripod or when using a shoulder mounted rig, it adds a degree of sophistication you just can't achieve any other way. It is also designed to be used in conjunction with other industry standard accessories such as the focus wheel whip shown attached to the follow focus at left.
- Weight: Follow Focus Pro Unit - 1 lb 1 oz; Lens gear belt - 1 oz
- Fits Rail Distance: 60mm
- Fits Rail Diameter: 15mm
- Materials: Nylon, ABS, high-grade machined aluminum
- Index adjustment: 360 degrees
- Gear MOD: industry standard .8
How does the Follow Focus mechanism work exactly and when is it needed?
The mechanism works through a gear on the follow focus unit that is mated to teeth on the focus ring of the camera lens. This gear is linked to a wheel which, when turned by the operator, spins the teeth on the gear and thus the ring on the camera lens to adjust its focus. This device is not strictly a necessity on every shoot since the camera operator could just turn the ring on the lens directly to focus on their subject. However, doing this can place the focusing hand in an awkward position at a perpendicular angle to the camera rather than parallel to it. Also, turning the lens more than a small distance in one smooth movement (such as would be required for a long slow focus pull away from a subject) would be next to impossible. Sometimes a focus pull like this would even be difficult with a follow focus, so an L-shaped metal rod called a speed crank can be attached in the square hole at the center of the wheel and then you would just need to spin the rod to turn the wheel. The white disk surrounding the wheel is used to jot down marks during rehearsal, so that focus pulls can be repeated according to the marks during the actual shoot. Tape can be used to measure the distance from the lens to the subject in order to ensure accurate marking of the disk.